You certainly know that in online poker, you can mainly play via three different modes with sit & go, tournaments or and cash games but what kind of game is the most interesting? So much from adrenaline point of view as potential gains? Difficult to answer and yet, everything depends on several parameters that we will review in this article.
How long do you have?
Poker games can last long enough if you have the chance to go all the way through but the playing times are different for these three types of poker:
- If you have less than an hour opt for a sit-and-go or for a cash game. Sit-and-go is usually quite short and the blinds go up fast while you can decave whenever you want for the cash-game.
- If you have several hours in front of you then opt for a tournament and measure yourself to hundreds of poker players trying to win a share of the prize pool. If you are lucky and you are a good strategist, you should be able to sit down for a few hours and perhaps arrive at the final table. Thrill.
What type of player are you?
Some types of games do not allow players to express their full potential:
- If you are patient, attentive and know how to keep your cool, you have the profile of a cash game player. Wait for the right hands, trap your opponents and collect their money will then be your ultimate goal to leave positive.
- If you like challenges, competition and you know how to cope with the pressure, you have the profile of a tournament player. Overcoming hundreds or thousands of players gives you a unique joy. That’s what motivates you and it could lead you to the top, knowing that tournaments are generally less expensive than cash games.
- If you need action, you play many hands and are not afraid to face your opponents directly: You have the profile of a short-handed player. In cash-game or tournament, you can easily print your rhythm and take control of the table. Let’s say that it is a player profile on horseback between the first two that is more flexible to different types of poker.
To go further, we invite you to read our article on the different types of poker players, which will give you more information on this subject.
What is your budget?
This is one of the most important points. Remember that poker is a game and as such, it is important to keep in mind that you can also lose money. Few players really manage to make a living in the long run so try to keep that in mind because it has to remain a pleasure, not an addiction.
So always play according to your budget and if you have a low budget, go for tournaments with affordable entry fees. This will guarantee you a few hours of play.
- If you have more budget then go on a game of cash-game but know that it is easier to lose some feathers.
- If you have an intermediate budget, the sit-and-go can be a good choice because, despite the fact that you can also with parts with low enough inputs, it is a mix of the first two genres, which can be interesting to mix risks / gains, at lower costs.
We have also published an article that gives you tips to win poker tournaments and sit-and-go, feel free to take a look if you’re interested.
Some tips for choosing which type of game is best for you
- Do not limit yourself to one game, it is possible that you miss a variant that is made for you.
- Take the time to check the history of your hands, it is very important to analyze the hands you are losing to avoid making the same mistakes.
- Avoid dispersing by opening multiple tables as you may not be attentive to the different parts.
- Be patient and cool because you do not have to go on a tilt and control your emotions either in an online game or on a real poker table.
- Adapt your game according to the table and players with whom you are playing a game of poker. There is no 100% winning strategy!